The headquarters of the Louisiana National Guard, Jackson Barracks provides billeting, a museum, and courtroom facilities for rental.
A hero of the Battle of New Orleans, President Andrew Jackson knew first-hand the importance of a strategically located post in south Louisiana. In 1832, he signed a Congressional bill providing $87,000 and an additional $107,500 was appropriated by Congress. These funds purchased the site for Jackson Barracks on December 16, 1833. Because of the area’s close proximity to New Orleans, it was known simply as New Orleans Barracks until 1866 when it was renamed in honor of its advocate.
Today, Jackson Barracks serves as a command and control center for emergency operations. The Barracks is located in the Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans at the boundary of St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.
Jackson Barracks is located less than five miles from the French Quarter in New Orleans. The post offers year-round lodging for single and double occupancy in regular and VIP accommodations. Lodging is available year-round for military personnel. A post exchange and fitness center also reside on the property. Jackson Barracks is also available to host military conferences. Reservations can be made by calling 504-278-8224.
Ansel M. Stroud, Jr. Military History and Weapons Museum
Ansel M. Stroud Jr. Military History & Weapons Museum at Jackson Barracks tells the story of Louisiana’s military history through the eyes of the Louisiana National Guard. The museum is open to the public, charges no admission and is open Monday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Call for more information.